Making & Canning Hot Chili Pepper Sauce
- Published on March 15 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
You may substitute the Habanero chili pepper with a Red Savina pepper (hotter than Habanero) or Guntur pepper, Scotch Bonnet pepper, Datil pepper, Rocoto pepper, Piri Piri pepper or Madame Jeanette pepper. It is important that ingredients be carefully measured and that this hot chili pepper sauce be made as described to be processed safely in a water bath canner.
|8 Pints||10 Pints||12 Pints|
|Habanero Chili Pepper||1/3 lb.||2 lbs.||2-2/3 lbs.||3-1/3 lbs.||4 lbs.|
|Onion||1/6 lb.||1 lb.||1-1/3 lbs.||1-2/3 lbs.||2 lbs.|
|5% Vinegar||1/6 cup||1 cup||1-1/3 cups||1-2/3 cups||2 cups|
|Salt||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Pepper||1/4 tsp.||1-1/2 tsp.||2 tsp.||2-1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.|
Yields will vary based on the water content of the tomatoes.
Before beginning, wash tomatoes, cut away stems and discolored portion of tomatoes.
- Blanch, peel and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop tomatoes, peppers and onions.
- Place all ingredients in a pan, bring to boil.
- Sauté about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- You may blend this hot chili pepper sauce before canning, but return it to the sauce pan and return to a simmer after blending.
For canning homemade hot chili pepper sauce in pint jars, use the following technique:
- Canning using hot pack method with 1/2" of headspace
- Processing with a Water Bath for 15 minutes for pint jars, at 212 degrees.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
- Waterbath canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
After opening, you may decant into a bottle and refrigerate.
*This recipe is adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Complete Guide to Home Canning.
This third video will teach you how to use a waterbath canner for home canning tomatoes in several ways; home canning whole tomatoes, home canning diced tomatoes, home canning tomato sauces and home canning salsa.