Canning Pineapple in Syrup, Quart Jars
- Published on March 08 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
Pineapple are easy to can at home using this recipe. Pineapple may not be cold packed, but must boiled in their syrup and hot packed.
Remember to follow food safety instructions and select blemish free fruit. We always prefer organic fruit without pesticides.
(16 oz.) Jar
|8 Quarts||10 Quarts||12 Quarts|
|Pineapple||3 lbs.||18 lbs.||24 lbs.||30 lbs.||36 lbs.|
|Suggested Syrup - see chart below||Light||Light||Light||Light||Light|
|1 Quart||6 Quarts||8 Quarts||10 Quarts||12 Quarts|
|Very Light Syrup
|Water||1-1/2 cups||9 cups||12 cups||15 cups||18 cups|
|Sugar (sugar content 10%)||1/4 cup||1-1/2 cups||2 cups||2-1/2 cups||3 cups|
|Water||1-3/8 cups||8-1/4 cups||11 cups||13-3/4 cups||17-1/2 cups|
|Sugar (sugar content 20%)||3/8 cup||2 cups||3 cups||3-3/4 cups||4-1/2 cups|
|Water||1-1/4 cups||7-1/2 cups||10 cups||12-1/2 cups||15 cups|
|Sugar (sugar content 30%)||1/2 cup||3 cups||4 cups||5 cups||6 cups|
|Water||1-1/4 cups||6-3/4 cups||9 cups||11-1/4 cups||13-1/2 cups|
|Sugar (sugar content 40%)||5/8 cup||4-1/2 cups||6 cups||7-1/2 cups||9 cups|
|Very Heavy Syrup|
|Water||1 cup||6 cups||8 cups||10 cups||12 cups|
|Sugar (sugar content 50%)||1 cup||6 cups||8 cups||10 cups||12 cups|
Yields may vary slightly.
- Wash, remove the skin, tough fiber and the eyes of pineapple.
- Cut or dice.
- Select desired syrup strength and prepare syrup by combining water and sugar in a pan, and then heat slowly and boil lightly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Boil fruit in syrup for ten minutes.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1/2" of headspace.
- Pour hot syrup over fruit.
- Processing with a Water Bath for 20 minutes for quarts, at 212 degrees.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
This recipe is adapted from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving.
- Waterbath canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
The second step in learning to can at home continues with the use of a waterbath canner.
You will learn to home can fruit in syrup or to can fruit pie filling.
Canning Pineapple in Syrup|Pint Jars|Quart Jars