Making & Canning Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms, Pint Jars
- Published on March 15 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
This recipe for tomato sauce with mushrooms is easy to can at home using the steps below and the step-by-step canning instructions. It is handy to have on the shelf for quick vegetarian dinners. You may use a button mushroom, one with a little more flavor like a Morelle mushroom or a blend of your favorites. You may test the sauce for dinner using the one pint recipe.
Make sure to see other tomato canning recipes, including canning tomatoes in quart jars, low acid tomato sauce recipes or tomato sauce with meat at our Canning Tomatoes (Recipes) page.
|8 Pints||10 Pints||12 Pints|
|Mushrooms||1/4 lb.||1-1/2 lbs.||2 lbs.||2-1/2 lbs.||3 lbs.|
|Olive Oil||1 Tbsp.||1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp.||1/2 cup||1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp.||3/4 cup|
|Salt (Optional)||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Pepper||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Dry, White Wine||1/2 cup||3 cups||4 cups||5 cups||6 cups|
|Bottled Lemon Juice||1 tablespoon per pint for canning only|
Yields will vary based on the water content of the tomatoes. You may reduce this recipe less than recommended to make a thinner sauce and increase the yield.
- Before beginning, wash tomatoes, cut away stems and discolored portion of tomatoes.
- If desired, or if not using organic tomatoes, Blanch, peel and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop tomatoes, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan, add mushrooms, optional salt and pepper.
- Sauté about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are soft.
- Add tomatoes and white wine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by one half.
For canning homemade tomato sauce with mushrooms in pint jars, use the following technique:
- Add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice to each empty pint canning jar.
- Process with a Pressure Canner for 60 minutes for pint jars, at 10 pounds for a weighted gauge and 11 pounds for a dial gauge.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
- Pressure Canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
This recipe is not tested by the USDA, but follows USDA guidelines for canning and processing time.