Making & Canning Crunchy Tomato Salsa, Pint Jars
- Published on March 15 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
Roma tomatos or any plum or paste tomato are best with homemade salsa to maintain some firmness during the cooking process. It is important that ingredients be carefully measured and that this salsa be made as described to be processed safely in a water bath canner.
For further information about home canned salsas and additional recipes, visit our Canning Homemade Salsa Recipes page.
|8 Pints||10 Pints||12 Pints|
|Roma Tomatoes, chopped||
4 lbs. 14 ounces
8 lbs. 2 ounces
8 lbs. 12 ounces
|Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced||1.3 ounces||7.8 ounces||10.4 ounces||13 ounces||15.6 ounces|
|Green Bell Pepper, seeded and diced||.15 ounce||.9 ounce||1.2 ounces||1.5 ounces||1.8 ounces|
|Onion, medium diced||1/2 onion||3 onions||4 onions||5 onions||6 onions|
|Bottled Lemon or Lime Juice||2 Tbsp.||3/4 bup||1 cup||1-1/4 cups||1-1/2 cups|
|Garlic, (optional) finely chopped||1/2 clove||2 cloves||2-2/3 cloves||3-1/3 cloves||4 cloves|
|Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped (optional)||1/4 cup||2 tsp.||2-2/3 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1/3 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.|
|Salt||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Pepper (optional)||1/4 tsp.||1-1/2 tsp.||2 tsp.||2-1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.|
|Tabasco Sauce (optional)||1/4 tsp.||1-1/2 tsp.||2 tsp.||2-1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.|
Yields will vary slightly.
- Place all ingredients except cilantro in a pan, slowly bring to simmer, stirring often.
- After simmering, add cilantro.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1/2" of headspace
- Processing with a Water Bath for 35 minutes for pint jars, at 212 degrees.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
- Waterbath canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
This recipes is not tested by the Usda; We recommend testing the pH of this salsa recipe, using a pH meter when canning to ensure it is below 4.6 and adding bottled lemon juice accordingly.
This third video will teach you how to use a waterbath canner for home canning tomatoes in several ways; home canning whole tomatoes, home canning diced tomatoes, home canning tomato sauces and home canning salsa.