Making & Canning Tomatillo Salsa
- Published on March 15 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
You may substitute the Poblano pepper with Anaheim pepper, anchos pepper or any long green pepper. It is important that ingredients be carefully measured and that this salsa be made as described to be processed safely in a water bath canner.
For further information about home canned salsas and additional recipes, visit our Canning Homemade Salsa Recipes page.
|8 Pints||10 Pints||12 Pints|
|Fresh Husked and Chopped Tomatillos||
1 cup (about 10 Tomatillos)
6 cups (about 60 Tomatillos)
8 cups (about 80 Tomatillos)
10 cups (about 100 Tomatillos)
12 cups (about 120 Tomatillos)
|Poblano Pepper, seeded and chopped||1.6 ounces||9.6 ounces||12.8 ounces||1lb, 2 ounces||1 lb. 3 ounces|
|Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and finely chopped||1/2 ounce||3 ounces||4 ounces||5 ounces||6 ounces|
|Onion, chopped||7 ounces||2 lbs. 9 ounces||3 lbs. 6 ounces||4 lbs. 4 ounces||5 lbs. 2 ounces|
|Bottled Lemon Juice||1/5 cup||1-1/5 cups||1-3/5 cups||2 cups||2-2/5 cups|
|Garlic, finely chopped||1 clove||6 cloves||8 cloves||10 cloves||12 cloves|
|Dried Cumin (optional)||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Dried Oregano (optional)||1-1/2 tsp.||3 Tbsp.||4 Tbsp.||5 Tbsp.||6 Tbsp.|
|Salt||1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.||1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.||1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.||2 Tbsp.|
|Pepper||1/4 tsp.||1-1/2 tsp.||2 tsp.||2-1/2 tsp.||1 Tbsp.|
Yields will vary slightly.
- Place all ingredients in a pan, bring to boil, stirring frequently.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
For canning homemade tomatillo salsa in pint jars, use the following technique:
- Canning using hot pack method with 1/2" of headspace
- Processing with a Water Bath for 15 minutes for pint jars, at 212 degrees.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
- Waterbath canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
*This recipe is adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Complete Guide to Home Canning.
This third video will teach you how to use a waterbath canner for home canning tomatoes in several ways; home canning whole tomatoes, home canning diced tomatoes, home canning tomato sauces and home canning salsa.