Canning Crushed or Diced Tomatoes, Quart Jars
- Published on March 15 2011
- Written by David Blackburn (All Rights Reserved)
Canning crushed or diced tomatoes is easy to do at home using this recipe and instructions. If it's your first time canning, you might refer to our free video link below.
Make sure to see other tomato canning recipes, including canning tomatoes in pint jars, canning whole tomatoes, low acid tomato sauce recipes or tomato sauce with meat at our Canning Tomatoes (Recipes) page.
|7 Quarts||8 Quarts||9 Quarts||10 Quarts||11 Quarts||12 Quarts|
|Bottled Lemon Juice||2 tablespoons per quart|
|Salt (Optional)||1 teaspoon per quart|
Yields will vary based on the water content of the tomatoes.
Before beginning, wash tomatoes, cut away stems and discolored portion of tomatoes.
- Blanch and peel (and deseed if desired) the tomatoes. If not deseeding, you may leave the tomatoes whole.
- Quarter 1/6 of the tomatoes.
- Place the quartered tomatoes in a pot and heat the pot while crushing the quartered tomatoes with a spoon, exuding the juice.
- After the quartered tomatoes are boiling, slowly add remaining whole or halved tomatoes, stirring them in to prevent burning and maintaining a boil. The tomatoes will soften with heat and do not need to be crushed.
- After all tomatoes are added, boil five additional minutes.
For canning homemade crushed or diced tomatoes in quart jars, use the following technique:
- Add bottled lemon juice to each empty quart canning jar and optional salt.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1/2" of headspace
- Processing with a Water Bath for 40 minutes for quart jars, at 212 degrees.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, place the jars on a towel, separated by 1" to cool.
- Labeling and Storing
- Waterbath canner
- Lifting tool
- Canning funnel
- Large stove-top pot
- *Jars and lids
- Clean Cloth Towels
- Paper towels
- *See manufacturer's instructions
*This recipe is adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Complete Guide to Home Canning.
This third video will teach you how to use a waterbath canner for home canning tomatoes in several ways; home canning whole tomatoes, home canning diced tomatoes, home canning tomato sauces and home canning salsa.